Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Next Stop -- Talladega!!!




In our AMSTI unit on Force and Motion this 9 weeks, we have been responsible for creating, constructing, and modifying a vehicle (made from K-Nex) that will move when force is applied. The kids have been really "pumped up" about this and surprise me so much with their "mechanical" ability. It really is no easy task to take arbitrary pieces and build a vehicle to certain specifications.

After the design phase, it was time to make those vehicles MOVE. The kids (some of them anyways) loved being problem solvers and trying to figure out how to make their vehicles move with just rubberbands. Some of them got REALLY upset with me because they wanted me to tell them exactly what to do (Mrs. Calvert would have been in this group in school). When they were confident in their vehicle's ability to move, it was time to RACE. I must say I have some very competitive children, and if their car did NOT win, it was back to the drawing board for more modifications and strategizing.


I hope to post some pictures of this exciting event. Keep checking back for the pictures and for what the KIDS have to say about this new learning.

5 comments:

  1. Here is what the kids had to say today about all of this :

    -WOW!! Good Race!! We had to work hard.
    -WOW!! They are compeditive. WOW WOW WOW!!
    -It was very exciting.
    - That was so cool. It was a little frustrating but really exciting.
    -It was fun racing the cars. We were mad when we had to leave, but we still had a bunch of fun.
    - These are magnificent pictures of big manly men racing toy cars!! (My favorite comment of the day!!)
    - It was cool.
    -The vehicle was fun to play with.
    -This took ALOT of work, but it was fun!!
    - Doing this activity in Science was really fun. It was super FUN yet we steal learned.
    - We had fun exploring all the fun things that you can do with the car.
    -It was really awesome. I loved making these cars. I LOVED it!!!!!
    -It was awesome
    -Brennan's blowing really helped my group.
    -It has been fun to make those cars.
    -This was so fun!!!
    -This day was a good day.
    -It was so cool (and hard) when we were racing and my group didn't win I was so frustrated on how to make ours go faster.
    -Fue un dura trabajo hacerlo (It was hard to do)
    -It was very fun but a struggle building and making the car move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle (Mrs. Calvert), the pictures are great!!! Looks like your kids had a great time!! Your blog looks really great, too! Way to go Mrs. Calvert's class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mrs. Hurst....I took those pictures for Mrs. Calvert's class.....and had so much fun! You know I want to be a photographer when I grow up! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. hope you do a good job with that mrs. haynes

    ReplyDelete